Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Review: The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, Laura Miller


Review: The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, Laura Miller (Introduction)


Title: The Haunting of Hill House
Author: Shirley Jackson, Laura Miller (Introduction)
Genre: Horror, Classic, Mystery
No Of Pages: 182 Pages
Publisher: Penguin Classics

My Review: 4 Stars

Review:

The Haunting of Hill House was something I found out about while I was going through a couple of classics. Our School Library was small, we did not have a lot of books. Now after reading this I know that a lot of these young kids are missing a lot of good books since they are not available here or some of us have not heard of those books.

Let's set that aside for now.

When I started reading it, I was skeptic.I have read a lot of gory and hide under the bed sheet kind of horror novels, so I was not sure exactly what this would give me.

The beginning was a buildup and a suspense. But the book also gave a lot about the character. Including Eleanor and Theodora. Then there is Lucas. Dr. Montague and his wife. His wife. Halfway through the book I met his wife. And that was when I realized how good Shirley Jackson was in writing. The characters for me came alive. I started to doubt Eleanor. I started to think that she was actually doing some of these incidents. And Mrs. Montague. She gave me whole range of emotions. Like happy in a way that she was thinking about the dead. But annoying. So..soooo Annoying! I got to say it has been some time since I was actually this much annoyed at a character.

All in All, A great read for teens or anyone who wants to venture into the Horror realm.

No comments:

Post a Comment